A migrant boat carrying at least 13 Tunisians sank off the coast of Tunisia while heading toward Italy, according to a migrant rights group. Two survivors were rescued, officials said. The vessel departed early Thursday, according to the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights.

One survivor told rescuers they had been stranded at sea for hours after the boat capsized. The second survivor was still being treated for injuries, local authorities reported. The incident highlights the dangers faced by migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean.

The Tunisian coast guard is investigating the cause of the sinking. No official confirmation of the number of missing persons has been released. The group said it was working with local authorities to locate the remaining individuals.

The event underscores the ongoing challenges of maritime migration in the region. Authorities continue to monitor the situation and provide assistance to those in distress.